The increased demands on physicians are rising daily. New technologies, expanded business obligations and government reform add unneeded pressure to physicians’ lives.
At Adventures in Medicine, we understand that physicians are feeling out of balance:
- 33% of US physicians are experiencing burnout today, leading to counterproductive, unhealthy and even self-destructive behaviors.
- 1 in 6 physicians will be impaired at some point in their practice due to depression, alcoholism, or drug dependency*
- 20% will leave their jobs this year, frustrated and looking for more fulfillment and a better fit.
- 1 of 2 physicians will discourage their children from choosing medicine as a career.
- Every year as many as 400 physicians choose suicide.
- Physicians are 300% more likely to choose suicide than other professionals. Women are particularly vulnerable.*
*Source: Stress and Burnout Among Surgeons, Archives of Surgery, April 2009
The stresses and demands physicians experience in their career can originate from the fact that they are unhappy in their position. By using Adventures in Medicine to help choose a placement that fits their unique personalities and life styles, physicians will avoid finding themselves in jobs where their life goals and career goals do not match the responsibilities of the position.
Additionally, one of the most powerful weapons in any profession is knowledge. After using Adventures in Medicine to land the perfect job, keep learning about all the healthcare news as it pertains to physicians.
Read through the information included on this site for an expanded understanding of where healthcare is currently and where it’s going.